Re: The IPv6 Transitional Preference Problem

> I would argue the opposite; people won't turn it on otherwise,
> due to lack of knowledge or negligence. What I would also argue is
> that the API that opens a session should try all available
> address pairs in relatively short order - on the order of
> tens of milliseconds between new attempts

Internet protocols historically have had good scaling properties
on widely varying bandwiths and RTT times.
Short probe intervals will cause difficulty if RTT isn't also
in the order of tens of milliseconds.

There's places (I was in one only 2 weeks ago) where RTT to USA
was 400 ms, unless we were on backup vsat, in which case it was
2-4 seconds, with congestion and packet loss.
And they pay a lot more for bytes transferred than we're used to.

Not all the world has low latency and high bandwith.
Adding a dependency on this in IPv6 will not help acceptance.

IMHO, there's 2 issues:
1. Global IPv6 connectivity doesn't exist - at best, it's a tunnel mess
   with bits and pieces continuously falling off, then getting reconnected
   again, and nobody seems to care - there's no effort to make connectivity
   more stable
2. A new client query type - AAAAA - (that's 5 A's, meaning "give me IPv6
   unless it doesn't exist, in which case return me IPv4),
   with this result cached, would be helpful in high-latency
   situations

Geert Jan