Re: Above market hotel room rates

On Tue, Mar 23, 2010 at 10:36 PM, Lou Berger <lberger@xxxxxxxx> wrote:
I asked Ray about this problem in Hiroshima, his response was something
along the lines of "conference rates are different and more complicated
from regular hotel rates".  I have to say, I really think the community
deserves a detailed response on this topic from the secretariat...

Lou

I don't know why you would expect a different answer from the answer that has previously been provided. Its complicated and each meeting is a little different but in general, the lower the room rates the higher the registration fee. If, in effect, registration fees are being subsidized by room rates and enough people evade the room rates one way or another, the registration fees have to go up. For an interesting and unusual example, here is some registration information for the March 2010 IEEE 802 Plenary meeting, which I attended in Orlando, Florida, last week:
You will note (see red text at near the bottom of the page) that, if you didn't stay in one of the two official meeting hotels, you had to pay an extra $300 registration fee.

Thanks,
Donald