Re: A state of spin ... presented in ASCII

SM wrote:

>> The IAB made a clear statement that we need i18n support, yet over a
>> decade after RFC 2130 or RFC 2825, the RFCs themselves still have a
>> strict ASCII limitation. Sure, that wasn't mentioned at the time, but
>> does nobody else find this plain shameful?

> As seen in an I-D:
>
>   "The IETF is an international organization with open participation.
>    It is important that the IETF leadership be a reflection of the
>    diversity of its participants."

It merely means IETF documents MUST BE internationally legible,
that is, pure ASCII.

People, in practice, are fully aware about that, which is why
people, including *YOU*, are communicating through pure ASCII
e-mail in international forums such as IETF, except that some
people tend to think non-ASCII may be used for minor purposese
such as metadata (mail header) of personal name.

But, even such people using non-ASCII personal names can't use
non-ASCII for more serious purposes such as mail addresses, if
they want to receive mails internationally.

						Masataka Ohta

PS

My children know ASCII characters not by birth but by education in
an elementary school, which, I think, is a reasonable effort for
internationalization from our side. By home education, they can
input ASCII and Japanese characters using ASCII key boards. That
is, they can send mails to international recipients if mail addresses
are pure ASCII. But teaching them Greek is too much.