Re: Request for community guidance on issue concerning a future meetingof the IETF

Melinda,

On Thu, Sep 24, 2009 at 03:41:17PM -0800, Melinda Shore wrote:

> Looking at it from a threat evaluation framework, it seems
> to me that the actual likelihood of something happening
> along these lines is pretty small, but the impact of it,
> if it did happen, would be enormous, and it's the enormity
> of the consequences that makes this look more risky than
> meetings in other places where the hotel contract doesn't
> include clauses about shutting the meeting down if attendees
> criticize the local government.

On the other hand, to put this into perspective, some people might
argue that the chance of a huge winterstorm on the sunday before an
IETF meeting in cities like Minneapolis/Chicago causing the airport to
close for three days, an earthquake striking the bay area/Japan/LA
basin right before/during a meeting or something mundane like a hotel
roof collapsing due to rainoverload and flooding of a hotel are risks
that are perhaps much more worthy to keep the secretariat&IAOC members
up late at night.

David Kessens
---