Re: Request for community guidance on issue concerning a future meetingof the IETF

On Thu, Sep 24, 2009 at 02:57:58PM -0400, Marshall Eubanks wrote:
>> The most obvious answer to your question is that it is not at all
>> clear if the government would even reply or if they did, how long
>> it would take for them to reply, and even then, how much information
>> you would be able to take away from the reply apart from "don't break
>> the law".
>>
>> Do you think any other government of any other country would provide
>> an answer in a manner and timeframe that would be at all be useful?
>>
> When I worked for the US Government, it was drilled into me that we
> did not and could not speak for the US government. Any advice we
> would give was just that, and did not constrain the government in
> any way whatsoever.

True, but you probably *could* say that you (and every other Federal
employee, including the president) that to execute an oath to
preserve, protect, and defend the constitution of the United States,
and that one of the previsions in the Bill of Rights was this thing
guarantee of "Freedom of Speech".  Similarly, European officials could
point to the Charter of Fundamental Rights, and its guarantees of
"Freedom of Expression".

So in answer to Ole's question, other governments of other countries
*could* provide an answer in a manner (the US Bill of Rights and/or
the CFR) and timeframe (immediate) in a way which is immediately
useful --- and which apparently, China can not.

						- Ted