Re: Comments requested on recent appeal to the IESG

On Feb 27, 2009, at 1:12 AM, Alessandro Vesely wrote:
Douglas Otis wrote:
There are hundreds of thousands of legitimate SMTP clients in comparison to hundreds of millions of domains.

My understanding is that recipients are only interested in a few domain names: their company, their banks, their customers, their providers, and the like. While they are probably interested in knowing about such site reputations, they don't want to know how often those domains' servers change their network settings. Good domain names last longer than their IPs.

Alessandro,

The recommended change does not eliminate the presence of the authorizing domain in the authentication-results header, but supplements it with that of the SMTP client IP address. The SPF/ Sender-ID mechanism might be intended to only modify the DSN handling of messages not from authorized SMTP clients. Although both RFC 4406 and RFC 4408 make non-normative comments about what might be deduced from an authorizing domain's reputation in respect the validity of email-addresses, there is no mandate that ensures an assumption of validity. Some incorrectly expect a domain that has authorized SMTP clients, will have only authorized SMTP clients that enforce the exclusive use of their domain within either the PRA or Mail From.

Assessing the reputations of SMTP clients indirectly by the authorizing domains significantly limits the protections that might be achieved whenever domain spoofing is detected. Targeted phishing is already difficult to detect, where many attacks now leverage information from social networking sites to determine which domains are known by the victims. While the SMTP client authorized by some domains change over time, the protection of the domain within either the PRA or Mail From is still a function of the SMTP client, and is not directly that of the many many more authorizing domains.

deliberately falsifying the data requires that "trusted-isp.com" be removed from my set of trustees.
Customers of such providers will still desire their email to be annotated.

The consistency of requiring perfect reputation of happy-fraud.com is questionable. If that's my bank, I should probably think about changing.

This misinterprets the concern. ESPs optimize profits by reducing their support calls. To do this, they might reduce erroneous rejections by tweaking SPF to make guesses. As such, it is not safe to assume that because the ESP accepted a message from an authorized SMTP client, that:

  A) the SMTP client was actually authorized, and

B) that this authorization verifies an authorizing domain emitted the message.

The safety of an assumption about an authorizing domain originating a message depends upon the reputation of the SMTP client for its protection of the PRA and Mail From. Unfortunately, identifiers for the SMTP client have been omitted. It appears ESPs have agreed not hold SMTP clients accountable to reduce ESP support calls. Having some of their customer's domains affected by a security breach is preferred over all customer's domains being affected (even when it would be appropriate for all domains).

A package delivered by Fred bearing Sam's return address where Sam references Fred as being *authorized* does not represent an assurance that the package is really from Sam. Only when Fred has a reputation of always checking sender identities against return addresses can there be any assurance that the return address is valid.

Trusting the return address is only relevant at the transport level, MUAs should not provide means to issue bounces.

Having the Authentication-Results header include the IP address of the SMTP client provides a means to better determine what is safe to reveal to the recipient.

Besides, IMHO, it is Sam's reputation that the recipient should be interested in, not Fred's. We apparently differ slightly on this subject, but I'd defer it, as it is not the most relevant point.

Holding Sam accountable for an SMTP client run by Fred assumes Sam has established agreements with Fred stipulating PRA or MAIL FROM exclusivity. Will omission of the SMTP client identifiers morally obligate Sam to establish exclusivity service agreements? Such agreements would not be a prerequisite when Fred is held accountable, but might be seen as revenue stream by ESPs. In addition, when Fred's security is breached, the PRA or MAIL FROM for any domain delivered by Fred should not be trusted until Fred's breach has been mitigated. Not being able to determine whether a message was delivered by Fred makes comprehensive annotation protections impossible.

When Fred delivers email for tens of thousands of domains, how will a breach be reported? Instead of reporting the range of IP addresses Fred uses, adjustment to annotations will need the tens of thousands of domains that Fred handles. Does anyone really expect Fred to report the domains of all of his customers during a security problem?

[...]
As for tracing spoofing attacks, a MUA sees too little traffic to be able to do such activity.
It is reasonable to expect the MUA will check the reputation of a few hundred thousand IP addresses prior to applying annotations.

Here is where I don't follow you. I, for one, don't have a few hundred thousand messages in my mailbox. In addition most of the messages I have come from a minority of IP addresses.

Qualifying annotations based upon the IP addresses of the SMTP clients with a reputation for protecting authorizing domains requires a small and comprehensive list as compared to a list by the domains. The alternative of guessing which domains have established exclusivity agreements with their email providers will result in more victims being given a false sense of security.

There are techniques that dramatically reduce the size of this list. The alternative requires much less effective and indirect checks of many million authorizing domain names.

I must understand you're not talking about a process running on the MUA, correct?

MUAs should obtain an IP address list of SMTP clients vetted by either an organization or a community. The overall size of a comprehensive list could be reduced to about 30 KB, or about the size of a small HTTP graphic image.

[...]
The limit on the number of lookups should be low enough to dim DoS attacks.
The limit of even 10 DNS transactions (without going into how this might be extended) still represents an attack that does not consume _any_ additional resources of the attacker.

Consuming the attacker's resources is not relevant since they can outsource them for free.

The DDoS attack would be directed through legitimate DNS resolvers that, in conjunction with MTAs, doubly obscure attacking sources. A direct attack would expose the compromised systems. SPF local-part macro reflected attacks would not expend a compromised system's resources when targeting any victim with reflected MX, TXT, A, or AAAA transactions. Since this attack would not expend additional resources, the attack would be free for the attacker.

Results obtained after inputing the *authenticated IP address* (by way of TCP interaction) of the SMTP client into mechanisms, such as SPF or Sender-ID, will be whether or not the SMTP client has been *authorized*. Only when this SMTP client has a reputation of ensuring the Mail From or PRA originates from the user of that domain (perhaps with click-through validation associated with the access account), would it be safe to annotate a message as originating from the *authorizing* domain. Attempting to indirectly assess SMTP clients based upon the authorizing domain makes the assessment orders of magnitude less effective and more expensive.

I may agree on that even if you didn't specify what techniques would be used. However, it seems that, even using those optimizations, the implied volume of data is not what a typical MUA has in its mailboxes. Thus, it has to rely on an external service. I ask again the same question: what is the result that such external service delivers?

While MUAs might prompt users to enter the domains they wish to trust, this entry would be rather perilous. The exclusive use of the MAIL FROM or the PRA is not the norm, so it would be foolhardy to assume otherwise. MUAs should obtain an IP address list of SMTP clients vetted by either an organization or a community.

-Doug