Re: meeting attendance & nomcom

On Fri, Jan 9, 2009 at 5:26 PM, Scott Brim <swb@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
John C Klensin allegedly wrote on 1/9/09 11:11 AM:

> --On Friday, January 09, 2009 8:36 -0500 Scott Brim
> <swb@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
>> Hi Eliot.
>>
>> I agree this is a problem ... but not one that we can solve
>> yet.  At this time the face-to-face meetings are still
>> essential, and one cannot evaluate candidates without good
>> knowledge of what an I* member's life is like at them.
>
> Scott,
>
> Part of the reason for the current requirements is exactly what
> I think you are suggesting -- to raise the odds that Nomcom
> members will actually know the candidates and have had the
> opportunity to see them in action in some roles.

But also that nomcom members have some clue to what the life of an
IAB/IESG member is like.  I don't see how you can possibly understand
that without seeing it all in action at a face-to-face meeting.

I think any WG chair or shepherd sees a lot of IESG work. Face-to-face meetings can't uncover this work in full.