Re: [P2PSIP] How to describe the processing power

Dear Song,

   Processing power would be more informational in terms of CPU load. A good example of what would be useful would be to look at the comon monitoring tool (http://summer.cs.princeton.edu/status/) for the planetlab testbed. It uses the following metrics for selecting nodes based on CPU and I have found such selection to be very useful in determining the performance of a slice on the machine.

From the comon site, these are some metrics that may be useful

“CPU Speed
Busy CPU
Sys CPU
Free CPU
These fields give some insight into the CPU behavior of the node. The CPU Speed is just the speed of the processor in gigahertz. The Busy CPU field gives the % of time the CPU is utilized, and the Sys CPU field specifies what percentage of time the CPU is spending in the OS. Both of these values are the maximum values over the past 5 minutes. The Free CPU indicates how much of the CPU a spin-loop was able to obtain, giving some insight into how much of the node's CPU a new slice would receive.”

We could define these fields and leave it optional as to whether all of them are required. i.e. running a spin-loop may be expensive for some devices.

Best,

Saumitra

www.saumitra.info