Re: What Sort Of Jabber Server For IETF Conference?

Athar Shiraz Siddiqui wrote:
> On 11/11/08, Peter Saint-Andre <stpeter@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>> As far as I know it uses the ejabberd codebase.
>
> Thanks! that will help! (I hope)
>
>>  > How does one get an account on this jabber server?
>>
>> You don't. This server is used only to host the chatrooms. You need to
>>  create an account on one of the public XMPP services to get on the
>>  network, then join the chatrooms at jabber.ietf.org from your "home"
>>  account. It's relatively easy to create an IM account at one of the
>>  public services such as jabber.org (of which I am an admin), Google
>>  Talk, Live Journal Talk, etc.
>

> So I have a gtalk/ gmail account as you can see from my email. I have
> been using gtalk as a testbed

Be aware that the Google Talk has some differences from the usual XMPP
deployments. In particular, it blocks communication with any entity that
is not in your contact list.

> and my client sends xmpp messages to
> "buddies" on my "buddy list" (or JIDs on my roster?)

Same thing.

> Now I wish to send messages to a room like this one for example :
> http://jabber.ietf.org/logs/sip/2007-12-05.html
>
> I have invited sip@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx and it shows up on my list as
> "invited" but nothing else.

Right, because sip@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx is not the kind of entity that will
acknowledge your presence subscription request (it's a chatroom, not a
"normal" IM client/account).

> This is from my gtalk interface. Is there something that I am doing
> wrong? I should expect to join this chatroom, no?

You should expect to join the chatroom if you follow the spec for XMPP
chatrooms:

http://xmpp.org/extensions/xep-0045.html

> Has anyone done this
> using a gmail account?

Many thousands have, yes. But I don't know if the standard Google Talk
client for Windows in fact supports XEP-0045, so you might need to use a
more full-featured XMPP client; there is a list here:

http://xmpp.org/software/clients.shtml

> How do I join this chatroom Sir?

See XEP-0045.

Peter