Re: Last Call: draft-irtf-asrg-dnsbl (DNS Blacklists and Whitelists)

At Sat, 08 Nov 2008 06:46:54 -0500,
John C Klensin wrote:

> Sadly, I have to agree with Keith.   While these lists are a
> fact of life today, and I would favor an informational document
> or document that simply describes how they work and the issues
> they raise, standardizing them and formally recommending their
> use is not desirable at least without some major changes in our
> email model and standards for what gets addresses onto --and,
> more important, off of-- those lists.

Speaking as someone who just got burned by exactly such a list,
I think I need to agree with John: I don't object to the IETF
publishing an informational document on this, but a PS implies
that IETF endorses the practice, which I don't think we should do.
I appreciate that there is a fine distinction here, but it seems
to me that it's precisely for cases like this where the distinction
is appropriate.

-Ekr