Re: placing a dollar value on IETF IP.

Todd,

I see your point about the cost of producing standards. However,
having been both on the vendor and service provider sides of the
street, I can tell you that most (all?) service providers generally
require their vendors to implement standards so that their products
are interoperable and meet particular requirements - in an RFP, it's
much easier to put in a list of RFCs, ITU-T recommendations, etc.,
rather than have to list every individual requirement. As a result,
vendors don't generally specifically track their standards
participation costs - it's just a part of the cost of doing business
in a particular market.

It all goes back to the light bulb as a great example of standards
setting - back before there was a standard base for bulbs, I'm sure
every light bulb manufacturer had a vested interest in their
pre-standard bases and sockets - whether it screwed left or right or
used push-in pins, the size of the base, etc., and sent people to the
meetings to represent their interests when that particular standard
was being set. It was just a necessary cost of being in the light bulb
business at that particular time.

Cheers,
Andy