Re: IESG Statement on Revised guidance for interim meetings

Russ Housley wrote:
> In summary, email discussion has less tendency toward "group think" than
> face-to-face gatherings.

Interesting.  I hadn't connected with that term, for this, but it's really quite
apt.

The Wikipedia article on the term, at:

   <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Groupthink>

is useful for considering working group processes that lead to bad decision-making.

Notably:

> Symptoms of groupthink
>
> In order to make groupthink testable, Irving Janis devised eight symptoms
> that are indicative of groupthink (1977).
>
> 1. Illusions of invulnerability creating excessive optimism and encouraging
> risk taking.
>
> 2. Rationalising warnings that might challenge the group's assumptions.
>
> 3. Unquestioned belief in the morality of the group, causing members to
> ignore the consequences of their actions.
>
> 4. Stereotyping those who are opposed to the group as weak, evil, disfigured,
> impotent, or stupid.
>
> 5. Direct pressure to conform placed on any member who questions the group,
> couched in terms of "disloyalty".
>
> 6. Self censorship of ideas that deviate from the apparent group consensus.
>
> 7. Illusions of unanimity among group members, silence is viewed as
> agreement.
>
> 8. Mindguards — self-appointed members who shield the group from dissenting
> information.

Would that email discussion were enough to guard against these weaknesses.

d/

--

   Dave Crocker
   Brandenburg InternetWorking