Re: IESG Statement on Revised guidance for interim meetings

IESG Secretary wrote:
> This statement provides IESG guidance on interim IETF Working Group
> meetings, conference calls, and jabber sessions.

Good note.

> Historically the work of the IETF has been conducted over mailing lists.
> This practice ensures the widest possible involvement in the working
> group process. This practice is not as efficient in terms of producing
> specifications as extended face-to-face meetings but is much more
> inclusive.

In attending meetings for a group that does all its work in extended
face-to-face discussions, I discovered another benefit of the mailing-list
orientation of the IETF:  deliberation.

When a reliance on face-to-face meetings is coupled with any sort of timely
deadline, the group is forced to make potentially precipitous decisions.

When discussion and decision-making can extend over the longer period of email
discussion, the decision-making has much more opportunity to consider
implications and recover from problematic choices.

d/

--

   Dave Crocker
   Brandenburg InternetWorking