Re: Removal of IETF patent disclosures?

On Thu, Aug 14, 2008 at 09:25:42AM +0200, Simon Josefsson wrote:

> request should be well established.  I can think of at least two reasons
> that are valid:
>
> * Exact duplicates
> * Spam

As soon as you have evaluated the claim, even for "exact duplication"
or "it's spam", haven't you done exactly what the pages claim not to
do (take a position on the validity of the claim)?  I know that sounds
silly, but it seems to me that any evaluation _at all_ is
automatically a contravention of what the pages say the IETF does.  If
the pages are just a list of claims, including bogus ones, then the
IETF has taken no position at all.  As soon as some of them have been
evaluated, we're at the top of a slippery slope, I think.

Andrew Sullivan
ajs@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
+1 503 667 4564 x104
http://www.commandprompt.com/