Re: Removal of IETF patent disclosures?

Harald Tveit Alvestrand <harald@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> writes:

> Simon Josefsson skrev:
>> Brian E Carpenter <brian.e.carpenter@xxxxxxxxx> writes:
>>

>>> I wasn't even aware, during my tenure as chair, that the 'remove' button
>>> existed. The only removals I recall, which may or may not be in the
>>> numbers Simon quoted, were completely bogus and nonsensical disclosures
>>> clearly filed by someone who was just fiddling around on the Web.
>>>

>> Some of the disclosures that are now removed were certainly not bogus.
>> For example, the patent license given in #833 was important input to a
>> lengthy discussion relatively recently.
> definitely agree on that one "for the record".
>
> OTOH, to give a counterexample, I don't think there's any value to the
> community to having both #941 and #942 on file - they're duplicates.

Removing one out of two duplicates doesn't remove any patent-disclosure
related information, so I don't think it is a good counter-example.

If removals should be permitted, the reasons for accepting a removal
request should be well established.  I can think of at least two reasons
that are valid:

* Exact duplicates
* Spam

Beyond this I'm less sure we can get away the liability concern.

False positives for spam could be a issue, so I'm not even sure the
second one is OK.

/Simon