RE: I-D Action:draft-rosenberg-internet-waist-hourglass-00.txt]

Joel M. Halpern wrote:

> I think that the key question that Jonathan's draft drives us
> towards is whether work like the SCTP / UDP draft Dan Wing pointed
> out needs to get more attention.  And soon.  It does seem to me that
> being able to run the applications which drove SCTP and DCCP over
> NATs is probably important.  And Jonathan (and others) observation
> that if the traffic isn't TCP or UDP it frequently won't get through
> NATs does seem to match observed reality.

I didn't provide a pointer to that SCTP/UDP draft to the list, and I
noticed that just today a new DCCP/UDP draft was announced.  The
two drafts are:

  "UDP Encapsulation of SCTP Packets"
  http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-tuexen-sctp-udp-encaps

  "Datagram Congestion Control Protocol (DCCP) Encapsulation for NAT
  Traversal (DCCP-NAT)"
  http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-phelan-dccp-natencap

What seems useful is a mechanism where the UDP encapsulation can be
attempted and the native (non-UDP encapsulted) protocol can be
attempted.  In this way, the protocol can work through a skinny
hourglass (by running over UDP), yet if the path is unimpeded by
firewalls/NATs/proxies then the (more efficient) native encapsulation
can be used.

Where DNS can be used as the rendezvous protocol, DNS SRV might
provide a way to accomplish such a thing, where you could learn that
there is a UDP-encapsulated port and a native (non-UDP encapsulation)
protocol to a host.  The application and/or the underlying SCTP/DCCP
stack could try both, in some agreed-upon order and with agreed-upon
backoff mechanisms.

Such a mechanism is what ICE, draft-ietf-mmusic-ice, performs in its
attempts to get v4, v6, UDP, or TCP connectivity.  ICE needs a
rendezvous protocol that includes an offer/answer exchange, such as
SIP, RTSP 2.0, or XMPP.

-d