Re: I-D Action:draft-rosenberg-internet-waist-hourglass-00.txt]

On 13 feb 2008, at 14:44, Jonathan Rosenberg wrote:

> I wrote this because of a discussion that happened during behave at
> the
> last IETF meeting in Vancouver. There was a presentation in the behave
> working group on NAT ALG for SCTP - when run natively over IP - and I
> found the entire conversation surreal.

I had the same feeling when reading your draft.

We can have a big, nasty fight about the philosophical points, but
fortunately, we don't have to, because the whole thing is based on
incorrect facts. I have never seen a consumer NAT that blocks ICMP.
I'm 98% sure that path MTU discovery black holes are NOT caused by
just NAT. Also, most of the NATs I've encountered have no problems
with non-TCP/UDP protocols (such as proto 41, IPv6-in-IP) except that
obviously only a single internal host gets to have a mapping for such
a protocol.

> So apparently its not obvious to everyone that you cannot design
> protocols natively ontop of IP.

You can, it just means that deployment will be harder. In many cases
that means it's a better tradeoff to encapsulate in UDP or TCP, but
that is not a universal truism.

As for the philosophical part: I have a big problem with importing
requirements from NATs and firewalls because their operation isn't
governed by any specification so it's impossible to fulfill such
requirements.