Re: [IAOC] RFC Editor costs - Proofreading (was Re: My view of theIAOC Meeting Selection Guidelines)

<cc list shortened>

On Feb 11, 2008, at 4:11 PM, Eric Rescorla wrote:

> At Mon, 11 Feb 2008 15:54:09 -0500,
> Ray Pelletier wrote:
>>

>> Eric Rescorla wrote:

>>> This kind of grammar theead usually ends in tears.
>>>

>>> That said, the CMS is pretty wishy-washy on this:
>>>
>>> S 5.42
>>> A distinction has traditionally been made between the relative
>>> pronouns which and that, the latter having been long regarded
>>> as introducing a restrictive clause and the former, a nonrestrictive
>>> one. Although the distinction is often disregarded in contemporary
>>> writing, the careful writer and editor should bear in mind that such
>>> indifference may result in misreading or uncertainty, as in the
>>> sentence below.
>>>
>>> Ambiguous:
>>> The report which Marshall had tried to suppress was greeted with
>>> hilarity.
>>>
>>> Which of the following is meant:
>>> The report, which Marshall had tried to suppress, was greated
>>> with hilarity.
>>> or
>>> The report that Marshally had tried to suppress was greeted
>>> with hilarity.
>>>
>>> When the commas intended to set off a nonrestrictive lcause are
>>> ommitted, perhaps with the purpose of using which restrictively,
>>> the reader may well wonder whether the omission was inadvertant.
>>> Some uncertainty will persist.
>>>

>>> The MLA handbook is even less prescriptive:
>>>
>>> S 3.2.2:
>>> "Note that some writers prefer to use which to introduce
>>> norestrictive clauses and that to introduce restrictive
>>> clauses".
>>>

>>> Given that the distinction between which and that is not
>>> universally observed and that our documents are intended
>>> to be consumed in part by those who are not native
>>> English speakers, ISTM that any case where the distinction
>>> between which and that is important to meaning would benefit
>>> from some rephrasing for increased clarity.
>>>

>> Perhaps the RFC Editor Style Manual
>> (http://www.rfc-editor.org/rfc-style-guide/rfc-style-
>> manual-08.txt) can
>> offer some insight here:
>>
>> *  "which" and "that" should follow the rules:
>>
>>       o  "which" is non-restrictive and is used parenthetically.  It
>>          follows a comma and provides non-essential information.
>>          Example:
>>
>>               "The XYZ Protocol, which is proprietary, may be
>> vulnerable
>>               to session hijacking"
>>
>>       o  "that" is restrictive and introduces information that is
>>          essential to the meaning of the sentence.  Example:
>>
>>               "A protocol that is less robust may be more
>> vulnerable to
>>               session hijacking"
>
> Yeah, but the question at hand is whether the RFC Editor *should*
> be enforcing this style.

But then shouldn't the question be whether the style manual should be
changed ?

By the way, those reports of me suppressing reports are nothing more
than
scurrilous rumors, which should be suppressed.

Regards
Marshall