Re: Deployment Cases

Phill,

On 2007-12-24 07:32, Hallam-Baker, Phillip wrote:
Problem: We have a lot of specifications that work fine, but have not seen deployment
Examples: Most security specifications, IPv6, etc. etc. Cause: The economic case for deployment is not made. This is a particular concern when the protocol deplends on the network effect. Until the network is established the protocol has minimal value. Proposed Solution: Deployment Cases As engineers we are now used to considering use cases, that is representative use scenarios that illustrate particular intendeded uses. The output of use cases are requirements. Deployment cases are similar except that we consider the economic incentives for transition.

IMHO, whenever the IETF has tried to do anything like this, we've
failed. A good (er, bad) example was draft-ietf-iab-case-for-ipv6,
which had so many issues that it was allowed to curl up and die.

Basically, we aren't business-oriented people or economists,
and we don't tolerate marketing-style bending of the facts.

I'm pessimistic about trying this in the IETF, even for
technologies that are aimed at the greater good, where the
economic arguments are not about short term returns for
individual companies.

    Brian