Deployment Cases

Problem: We have a lot of specifications that work fine, but have not seen deployment

Examples: Most security specifications, IPv6, etc. etc.

Cause: The economic case for deployment is not made. This is a particular concern when the protocol deplends on the network effect. Until the network is established the protocol has minimal value.

Proposed Solution: Deployment Cases

As engineers we are now used to considering use cases, that is representative use scenarios that illustrate particular intendeded uses. The output of use cases are requirements.

Deployment cases are similar except that we consider the economic incentives for transition.

For example, Alice the home user has three computers and two network addressable printers, all of which currently support IPv4, Bob is the netop at a medium sized corporation, Carol is CIO of a F500 corporation.

For each adoption case consider the costs and benefits of proposed transition architectures.

I develop the underlying theory in The dotCrime Manifesto. The problem we face is very similar to the problem faced in the area of energy conservation, how does a state persuade consumers to use less electricity so it does not need a new power plant? Until this discussion however I had not really considered the problem of how to build these considerations into the standards process.

We have to take adoption really seriously. Take a look at your email client, chances are 0.95 or better that it supports S/MIME. How many emails do you see each day that are S/MIME signed? We cannot accept a 'success' of that type here.