DKIM reputation, was Re: Spammers answering TMDA Queries

On Mon, 8 Oct 2007, Keith Moore wrote:

> It's a combination of several things - one, requiring that a domain
> operate its own mail submission servers which sign their mail (and all
> that that implies, like maintaining the private keys).

That's just part of running a mail system.

> Two, many domains will be too small to develop enough of a reputation to
> be whitelisted, and any spammer can create a temporary domain which will
> have about as good a reputation as the vast majority of those domains.

Free domain tasting is a problem that affects lots of reputation system,
not just ones based on DKIM. If ICANN were to eliminate it lots of things
would become easier.

Also, at the moment negative reputation is more useful (or at least easier
to use) than positive reputation so I don't see neutral reputation as a
bad thing (er, by definition it isn't).

> Three, as long as people use Windows boxes, spammers will be able to
> compromise them and hijack them to use them to originate mail on behalf
> of their domains, thus degrading those domains' reputation.

The criminals can steal infected users' online banking credentials too,
which is far more worrying. Everyone has to keep their networks clean for
many reasons, not just spam.

Tony.
--
f.a.n.finch  <dot@xxxxxxxx>  http://dotat.at/
IRISH SEA: SOUTHERLY, BACKING NORTHEASTERLY FOR A TIME, 3 OR 4. SLIGHT OR