RE: Renumbering

Title: Re: Renumbering
 >  I remember Bill Clinton describing trying to develop an Internet standard like 'nailing jello to the wall'.

Actually he said that trying to censor the Internet was like trying to nail jello to the wall. See the press release from the U.S. Embassy in China where he made the remark in the context of the Great Firewall of China.

http://www.usembassy-china.org.cn/press/release/2000/clinton38.html

With hindsight, and knowing the many ways in which people have subverted the Great Firewall he was quite right. In the IETF context, I think it proves the rule of "be conservative about what you send, be liberal about what you accept" because the jello comes from the way people actually use IETF technology in the real world.

The IETF is incapable of designing a solution to a problem. We can only design protocols which create possibilities for the real solution designers to leverage. Engineers like to have end-to-end control of a problem in order to design end-to-end solutions but that is often not possible in the real world, and especially not possible when your work is restricted to the vicinity of layer 3.

--Michael Dillon