RE: IPv6 will never fly: ARIN continues to kill it

> Paul Vixie wrote:
> http://sa.vix.com/~vixie/ula-global.txt has my thoughts on this, which
> i've appropriated without permission from hinden, huston, and narten
> and inaccurately failed to remove their names from (since none of them
> supports the proposal).  in fact, nobody in the ietf intelligensia
> supports the proposal.  the showstopped is that this appears to many as
> an end-run around PI, and the fear is that there's no way to prevent it
> from all getting routed anyway.  while that's not an unreasonable fear,
> i'm alone in considering it a manageable risk.

I'm afraid I'll have to leave you alone there. [RIR-PI] makes [ULA-GLOBAL-00] somehow palatable, but not enough. In a nutshell, your argument is that since [RIR-PI] has been adopted, there is little risk that [ULA-GLOBAL-00] degenerates into free-for-all PI.

That's a valid point, but IMHO the problem is that [RIR-PI] is not good enough in too many eyes; in other words there still are many remaining temptations to abuse [ULA-GLOBAL-00].

> so while i harken to your concern that "IPv6 will never fly",
> i think that the reasons for it are much larger than whatever
> part you think ARIN could do differently.

Agree.

>> Michel Py wrote:
>> The real world would probably go for IPv6 NAT instead, but
>> the IETF is deadlocked; instead of choosing between the
>> lesser of two evils and sacrifice one of the "features",
>> they want to have the cake and eat it too.

> Paul Vixie wrote:
> ietf said don't do nat in v4.  the market said screw you. The
> market won, and ietf ended up having to add nat support into
> various protocols, and started having nat oriented working
> groups, and so on. i expect the same with nat v6.

I agree, but my point was that the market might prefer double-v4NAT to IPv6 NAT. The situation is quite different: IPv4 NAT solved most of the renumbering issue. IPv6 NAT does not bring anything to the table that IPv4 NAT does not already have. In other words: if you want NAT, no point upgrading to IPv6.

> i have more confidence in the ability of router vendors to bend moore's
> law and in backbone architects and routing protocol architects to bend
> graph theory, than i have for example in diesel-from-algae as a way to
> solve the world's carbon problem.  so i'm not nec'ily hopeful, but i'm
> more hopeless about other things than i am about a 2M-route DFZ.

Agree too, but as you said above the reasons are much larger. In other words, even if vendors promised a 10M DFZ capable routers and the RIRs gave PI to anybody who asks for it, we would still be nowhere near take off.

> Roger Jørgensen wrote:
> are they still refusing to put it into the queue or do anything? Even
> after several month? Well let really hope that will change now when/if
> IPv6-wg change the name to 6man and we can start working again!

A few months are very little time in IETF time!

Michel.