RE: IPv6 addresses really are scarce after all

>       If I assign 4M /48's of IPv6 (one to each cable modem on my
>       network), according to the HD-ratio I am justified to obtain
>       something around a /20 of IPv6 addresses.  In other words, I am
>       justified in getting 268M /48's even though I am only
> using 4M of
>       them.  That would be enough for me to assign at least two for
>       every household in the US (not just the 19M on my network).

>       Anyhow, you can see where this might lead...

Yes, towards a rethinking of whether the HD ratio is an appropriate way
to measure the size of an ISP's second allocation.

> If one does the math, giving every home user a /56 instead of
> a /48 provides almost two orders of magnitude more headroom
> in terms of address usage. And at what cost? Surely, everyone
> will agree that giving a /56 to home sites is more than
> enough space for the foresable future! That's enough for 256
> subnets per home site! That's an incredible amount of address space!

And since it is very rare for a home site to change into a non-home site
while under the same ownership/occupancy, the rule of /56 for home users
maintains the same-size-for-all philosophy that was suggested with /48
blocks. A home user can move across town to another residence, hook up
to another ISP and be reasonably guaranteed to get another /56.

> That leads me to
> doubt that the specific propoasl that was mentioned that
> started this thread will actually get much traction within
> ARIN, but that is not my problem. :-)

Nevertheless, a lot of this controversy around IPv6 addressing is not
very well informed and is often based on IPv4 architecture, not IPv6.
There is a gap in education here, and due to the scramble to deal with
the imminent runout of IPv4 addresses, people don't have time to get
properly educated. This is a scenario in which informed guidelines from
the IETF would have great value even if they cannot be prescriptive.

> I find the fact that RFC 3177 has not been revised to reflect
> the reality of today is a bit disapointing.

Precisely! At one time the IETF put some effort into producing IPv6
educational material but that effort seems to have faded away.

> And, FWIW, I was one of those that pushed for the changes.
> As one who originally supported of the /48 recommendation in
> RFC 3177, I think it was a mistake. Giving a /48 to every
> home user by default is simply not managing the address space
> prudently. Home users will do more than fine with a /56.

I agree. What I don't agree about is the idea that /56's should go to
small sites, i.e. that the ISP makes some judgement about how many
subnets a business might need, and then decide whether or not to give
them a /48 or a /56. Technically, the ARIN policy wording allows for
this.

--Michael Dillon