RE: IANA registration constraints (was: Re: Withdrawing sponsorship...)

Paul Hoffman wrote:

> Why not? As long as the reader of the IANA registry can ascertain
> which codepoint owner is at a particular level, how would that affect
> interop?

Being able to ascertain what the level is isn't enough; you also
need to know (and more importantly, care) about the differences
in the levels :-)

I'd say there are lot of implementors who don't really care that
much for the distinctions between an individual Internet-Draft,
a WG draft, an Experimental RFC, or Proposed Standard RFC.

But if only the latter two (or three) would have proper numbers
in them (instead of TBD-BY-IANA), that would send a clear message
that "this not ready yet"... (but of course, this doesn't always
work; if there's strong enough pressure to implement, people
will "invent" some numbers there)

Best regards,
Pasi