RE: IANA registration constraints (was: Re: Withdrawing sponsorship...)

Paul Hoffman wrote:

> At 12:08 PM +0300 6/13/07, <Pasi.Eronen@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> >The hurdle of getting IETF consensus and publishing an RFC does
> >weed out many crazy proposals that, in all fairness, would not
> >have made the Internet work better, and would not have promoted
> >interoperability.
>
> It does not need to promote interoperability; being interop-neutral
> is sufficient. How does giving a codepoint to someone with a crazy
> (and let's say even dangerous to the Internet) idea hurt
> interoperability? It seems to be interop-neutral.

I think giving out codepoints freely would in many cases encourage
having multiple (often half-baked) solutions to the same problem.

To give one example we both worked on: I think it's good we didn't
allocate codepoints to all the individual MOBIKE protocol proposals
(mine, Tero's, Francis's), and instead were "forced" to work together
and converge on a single protocol.

Probably the "market" would have eventually picked one of them as
the winner, but meanwhile, the situation would IMHO not have been
interop-neutral. (And working together also produced a better
protocol than any of the individual drafts were.)

I'm not saying that this particular cooperation would not have
happened with less strict IANA policies -- but I do believe that
if the bar for getting codepoints and publishing an RFC would be
significantly lower than today, we would have a much larger number
of poorly concieved and overlapping extensions to various IETF
protocols. (And IMHO that would not always be interop-neutral.)

However: I do agree with John Klensin's statement that "there is a
difference between registering a parameter for a non-standard
specification that is already deployed and in successful use and
registering one for a wild idea by one person."

Best regards,
Pasi