RE: IANA registration constraints (was: Re: Withdrawingsponsorship...)

Every protocol begins as a wild idea by one person. So I don't accept John's point.

Forcing groups together is not necessarily a good idea. The counter example I would give is SAML, WS-Trust and OpenID. Merging protocols prematurely can be a mistake. The groups have to be speaking the same language for a start.

Requiring a merger for standards process is a good idea, usually, but standards are not always the best approach. If you don't yet understand the problem space you should not be wasting peoples time on the standards circuit.