Re: Withdrawing sponsorship of draft-housley-tls-authz-extns

--On Tuesday, June 12, 2007 17:22 +0200 Brian E Carpenter <brian.e.carpenter@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

John,

I'm not sure whether I agree with your proposal or not, but I
think
the most concrete way forward would be a proposal for specific
wording for draft-narten-iana-considerations-rfc2434bis, which
Harald left on my plate and I left for Russ.

And that last clause -- i.e., the fact that document has not progressed in three years or more -- may suggest either that (i) if modifying it is the most constructive way forward, we have a problem or (ii) that it is not an effective way forward, whether or not it is constructive.

An extension of Paul Hoffman's recent comment is that the community should start aggressively pushing back, at Last Call if necessary, on every document that makes a requirement of "IETF Consensus" for registration unless the need to that is clearly and persuasively demonstrated for the individual case. The way to reinforce Paul's message, with which I agree, is for WGs (and responsible ADs) to get the message that requirement will cause unnecessary pain on Last Call... possibly resulting in thinking more seriously about it. That approach might be less constructive than the one you suggest, but it would probably be more effective.

To me, the fundamental question here is whether, in the last analysis, we consider it more important to have

	* the best and most extensive Internet interoperability
	possible or

	* a maximum of real or imagined IETF control over all
	protocols in use on the Internet.

We claim to believe the former and then often behave as if we believe the latter.

      john