RE: comments on draft-houseley-aaa-key-mgmt-07.txt

Hi Yoshi,

I don't think it is a "requirement" - and the reason I believe that is
due to the second sentence in that text above. This is what I tried to
explain in much greater detail in my first response to Sam on this
thread. As long as no two keys distributed from the server are the same,
even to the same perceived identity, there is nothing that a lying
entity can do to sessions with other entities. So, as long as a solution
satisfies that criteria, it is not a MUST to detect impersonation. But,
I do agree that it would be much better if the detection was done by the
key transport mechanism - hence, I think "RECOMMENDED" is appropriate :)

> By the way, recent discussion on 3-party key distribution
> over HOKEY mailing list made me think more about the
> following text in Section 5 (I don't know whether this is
> part of Dan's comment as I did not see his original comment
> on this mailing list):
>
> "
>    The authenticator is also a trusted party.  The authenticator is
>    trusted not to distribute keying material provided by the
> AAA server
>    to any other parties.  If the authenticator uses a key derivation
>    function to derive additional keying material, the authenticator is
>    trusted to distribute the derived keying material only to the
>    appropriate party that is known to the peer, and no other party.
>    When this approach is used, care must be taken to ensure that the
>    resulting key management system meets all of the principles in this
>    document, confirming that keys used to protect data are to be known
>    only by the peer and authenticator.
> "
>
> I understand that the authenticator is a trusted party for
> the EAP/AAA server.  On the other hand, I don't think we can
> say that it is a trusted party for the peer before running
> EAP, unless the link between the peer and the authenticator
> is already secured or the peer and the authenticator have
> already a shared key to believe before running EAP.

I agree. In my understanding, the text above is talking about the fact
that the authenticator is a trusted party to the server and because the
peer trusts the server, it trusts the authenticator after it has proven
possession of the right key. So, in that sense, the text seems fine to
me.

Vidya