Re: Referencing BCPs [Re: ion-procdocs open for public comment]

On Wed, 31 Jan 2007 11:54:26 -0500
John C Klensin <john-ietf@xxxxxxx> wrote:

> Except for the fact that the material being cited contains the
> specifics of license and IPR releases, and promises to abide by
> certain rules, by the authors.  Authors can't reasonably be
> asked to agree to something that might be published under the
> BCP number in the indefinite future, so you are either stuck
> with a document (RFC) number or a BCP as of a specific date,
> which amounts to the same thing and is harder to track down.

I'll let Jorge correct me if I'm wrong, but referencing by
<number,date> is the norm in the legal world, since statutes do get
amended without necessarily being renumbered.

I do agree we want to make it easy for non-lawyers.  I've suggested a
date-stamped archive of each version of each such document, for
precisely that reason.