Re: addressing Last Call comments [Re: "Discuss" criteria]

It seems like most other SDOs use formalized issue trackers for the equivalent of last call ("ballot") comments, making it easy to see what has been going on. Some WG do this, but each usually picking their own peculiar tracker.

The problem with any substantial IETF LC or WGLC comments is that they are often multiple issues, from the trivial spelling errors to fundamental architectural issues. It is difficult to make sure that all have been addressed and that discussions don't become >>>>> emails with meaningless subject lines - unintentionally making sure that nobody beyond the authors (if you're lucky) pays attention.

Putting all comments, including DISCUSS, into a document-specific issue tracker would be most helpful. (It would be helpful even beyond publication of an RFC, as we have found for the SIP documents, as they can be used to gather issues that a future "bis" effort needs to address. From what I can tell, almost all of the non-trivial protocol documents these days generate an draft-ietf-rfcXYZbis, after all.)

Henning