Re: "Discuss" criteria

John,

 Sorry to pick out a nugget from the middle of a very long message, but

On 12/30/06, John C Klensin <john-ietf@xxxxxxx> wrote:
...   What we don't need is
more rigid rules that either try to anticipate every
circumstance ...

This is something that I feel very strongly about.  We write rules
with wiggle room, because it's impossible to anticipate every
situation and important not to overconstrain the leadership in order
to allow them to show ... leadership.  We then look at the rules and
say "Oh horrors!  Someone could use bad judgement and make something
bad happen!" and try to write more rules to prevent that.  I think
that instead we should try to select leadership that won't use bad
judgement or will be able to understand when it's pointed out that
they are.

I think that long terms on the IESG tend to breed
detachment from the community and a tendency to put IESG
judgment ahead of that of the community and I don't think we can
solve that with more rules about IESG behavior.

As the current IESG member with the longest term, I agree with this,
and that fed into my decision to not stand for the position again.  I
think a young [in terms-of-service] IESG is more likely to be a
healthy IESG.

 Bill