Re: [INDEP] Re: [IAOC] Re: RFC Editor RFP Review Request

Err uh Keith - No...
----- Original Message -----
From: "Keith Moore" <moore@xxxxxxxxxx>
To: "Joe Touch" <touch@xxxxxxx>
Cc: <leslie@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>; <iad@xxxxxxxx>; <ietf@xxxxxxxx>;
<lear@xxxxxxxxx>; <mankin@xxxxxxx>; <iaoc@xxxxxxxx>; <hardie@xxxxxxxxxxxx>;
<john-ietf@xxxxxxx>; <independent@xxxxxxxx>
Sent: Tuesday, August 01, 2006 10:00 AM
Subject: Re: [INDEP] Re: [IAOC] Re: RFC Editor RFP Review Request

> > > What you say might have been true up until say the mid 1980s, but
> > > today, it's hard to defend that statement.  For many years the vast
> > > majority of RFCs have been produced by IETF either from working groups
> > > or individual submissions.
> >
> > That vast number does not establish the credibility of the series; the
> > original ones do.
>
> disagree.  the value of the RFC series is that most of the important
> technical specifications for the Internet (below the apps layer,
> anyway) can be found there.  if the RFC series only contained the
> original TCP, UDP, and IP specs, those documents would still be
> valuable, but the series would not be nearly as valuable as it is today.

Uh yeah - after the fact that is... By the way - how valuable do you think
the series is? By the way this was about Credibility and you spun that into
Value - nice - but not the issue. As to the Credibility of the RFC's that is
tied to the RFC's process - which sucks at best IMHO. The value is a
different issue totally. Nice try.

> > Congestion control originated in a Sigcomm paper, not
> > the IETF. At the end of the day, it is the IETF that is, IMO,
expendable.

> at the end of the day, we will all be dust, and everything we have
> produced will have been diffused to the point that those remaining
> will be unable to reliably tell who did what.

That's becuase of the process - not because of "how things are"... sorry. If
the IETF had its act together this wouldnt be true.

>  to the extent our lives
> have any value, it's probably not enhanced by our expending energy
> trying to pin down such things.

Wow - so now this is about Life Value - where do you draw the line?