Re: [IAOC] Re: RFC Editor RFP Review Request

Leslie Daigle wrote:

> Note that I never said that the IAB was not part of the
> IETF family/universe/collection.
>
> The important thing is that the IAB is independent in
> its decision making, and not subject to the IESG's
> whims or strictly bound by the IETF's input, which appeared to
> be the key elements in your concerns of IETF "ownership".
>
> draft-iab-rfc-editor-01 (now in the repository) lays out a
> framework for the IAB to ensure there is a (broader-than-IETF)
> community-defined RFC series, with community input and
> feedback.
>
> So -- it's a proposal for community-driven RFC Series
> not under IETF (IESG) control.

So:
	- the IAB is part of the IETF family

	- draft-iab-rfc-editor-01 (surprise)
	lays out a framework where the IAB
	(i.e., IETF family) declares itself
	responsible for ensuring broader-than-IETF
	input/feedback to the RFC series

My position is that:

	- the RFC series includes independent
	submissions (at least at this point
	let's assume that, but we - the non-IETF
	community - may need to revisit if the rest
	is not possible - which is why I'm including
	independent@xxxxxxxx in this discussion.

		note: it's unfortunate that this discussion
		is continuing here, rather than there.

	- independent submissions MUST NOT assume or
	require IETF family control - either direct
	or indirect

		A board of directors/advisors is fine,
		but NOT the IAB, IETF, or IETF family,
		and NOT appointed by the IAB, IETF, or IETF family.

	- independent documents MUST NOT be required to
	include IETF-family disownership assertions

*independent* means that. It does NOT mean IETF-family controlled.

Joe