Re: are we willing to do change how we do discussions in IETF?

On Sat, 24 Jun 2006 12:26:23 +0200
Iljitsch van Beijnum <iljitsch@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On 24-jun-2006, at 4:26, Keith Moore wrote:
>
> > IETF is already plunging toward irrelevance at terminal velocity.   The
> > only way to arrest the descent is for it to start producing better
> > quality and  more relevant specifications.  A good start would be for
> > it to actually pay some  attention to the problem definition and rough
> > specification phases  and to conduct them in an environment where they
> > can get meaningful review outside of a narrow community.
>
> I don't think the solution is more hoops to jump through. Unless I'm
> mistaken, the IESG already has significant lattitude in rejecting
> protocols or imposing additional requirements.

By the time IESG gets around to reviewing things, more often than not
it's too late to fix whatever is wrong.   What we need to arrange is that the significant review happens earlier, when the WG is still functional.  By the time the final review rolls around it should mostly be a formality - assuming, of course, that the WG has not changed things significantly since earlier reviews.

Keith