RE: The Emperor Has No Clothes: Is PANA actually useful?

> Just below you are acknowledging the need for EAP over IP. I don't
> understand how you can still claim you don't understand why PANA is
> useful...

The framework doesn't seem to talk much about simple EAP over IP
scenarios, so I have assumed this is not the major focus.

> You are aware that "virtual open-access AP" mode is OK. One of the
> two alternatives we proposed had an issue, and the other one still holds.

Right.  I was referring only to the WPA/WPA2 scenarios.

> De-facto? Could you please elaborate how it is becoming a de-facto standard?

EAP over UDP is one of the foundation technologies for Network Endpoint
Assessment (NEA).  As I understand it, EAPoUDP is being made available on
most operating systems, and is in the process of being deployed by many
enterprise customers.

> Besides. Of course PANA is more complex than EAPoUDP. The latter (an
> individual I-D) has very limited applicability.

As I understand it, EAP over UDP is mostly being deployed for wired access
scenarios where IEEE 802.1X might not work well (e.g. multiple hosts
sharing a port).

> Which SDOs? Please give us more detail.

As I understand it, 3GPP2 has considered PANA, and IEEE 802.11 has
evaluated the PANA framework document.