Re: Last Call: 'NAT Behavioral Requirements for Unicast UDP' to BCP (draft-ietf-behave-nat-udp)

    >>  REQ-8: If application transparency is most important, it is
    >> RECOMMENDED that a NAT have an "Endpoint independent filtering"
    >> behavior.  If a more stringent filtering behavior is most
    >> important, it is RECOMMENDED that a NAT have an "Address
    >> dependent filtering" behavior.  a) The filtering behavior MAY
    >> be an option configurable by the administrator of the NAT.  ==>
    >> I think this is WAY too dangerous approach.  I'd say that the
    >> filtering behaviour MUST be at least address dependent, unless
    >> explicitly configured otherwise.

    Keith> I'd strongly disagree with that.  I'd say that NATs MUST
    Keith> NOT have address dependent filtering unless configured
    Keith> otherwise; and even then, filtering SHOULD be configurable
    Keith> on a (destination) port-by-port basis. In other words,
    Keith> transparency MUST be the default setting.

I have not yet read the document, but believe I understand the context
for this discussion point well enough to contribute.

I think that it is important to separate NAT from firewall
functionality.  One device may provide both functions.  But if the
intent is to provide only a NAT function,, then Keith is right and
transparency needs to be the default.

If the intent is to provide a firewall function then all the
manageability and configuration concerns of a firewall apply.