Re: Last Call: 'NAT Behavioral Requirements for Unicast UDP' to BCP (draft-ietf-behave-nat-udp)

   REQ-8: If application transparency is most important, it is
      RECOMMENDED that a NAT have an "Endpoint independent filtering"
      behavior.  If a more stringent filtering behavior is most
      important, it is RECOMMENDED that a NAT have an "Address dependent
      filtering" behavior.
      a) The filtering behavior MAY be an option configurable by the
         administrator of the NAT.

==> I think this is WAY too dangerous approach.  I'd say that the filtering
behaviour MUST be at least address dependent, unless explicitly configured
otherwise.

I'd strongly disagree with that. I'd say that NATs MUST NOT have address dependent filtering unless configured otherwise; and even then, filtering SHOULD be configurable on a (destination) port-by-port basis. In other words, transparency MUST be the default setting.

   NAT ALGs may interfere with UNSAF methods or protocols that try to be
   NAT-aware and must therefore be used with extreme caution.

   REQ-10: If a NAT includes ALGs that affect UDP, it is RECOMMENDED
      that all of those ALGs be disabled by default.
      a) If a NAT includes ALGs, it is RECOMMENDED that the NAT allow
         the NAT administrator to enable or disable each ALG separately.

==> this seems like a VERY bad advice.

I agree with this. The problem, I suspect, is that this invites questions about which ALGs to enable and how those ALGs should behave, which is a big can of worms. Some kinds of ALGs are very bad, others are essential and semi-harmless. But it certainly should not be expected that apps will use UNSAF methods, as UNSAF methods are woefully inadequate.

While I appreciate the desire to limit the problem, I think this document is too narrowly scoped - there's no way to define a desirable NAT behavior that doesn't, at a minimum, allow explicit host/application control over bindings in the NAT.

Keith