Re: 66th IETF - Registration and Hotel Accommodations

--On Thursday, 20 April, 2006 14:15 -0500 Pete Resnick
<presnick@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On 4/20/06 at 8:04 AM -0700, Ole Jacobsen wrote:
>
>> There is at least one hotel closer to the venue also, the
>> InterContinental.
>
> The Delta seems to be 3 (rather long) blocks west and the
> InterContinental just across the street to the southwest.
>
> Does anybody know the walking distances to the venue from
> hotels on the east side? I plan to vacation there the week
> before, and both the Hôtel XIXe siècle and the Hôtel Place
> d'Armes look charming and within a block or two (and I can get
> a decent rate).
>
> (For the record, the Holiday Inn Select Centre-Ville seems
> really close, and relatively cheap. The St-James is also
> close, but now so cheap. :-) )

While I don't have the information you are looking for, I note
two things about this process and announcement:

	(1) This is the first time I can remember that the
	meeting has not been at the hotel and the
	announcement/posting has not contained any information
	at all about topics like relative locations of the hotel
	and conference facility or related logistics.  Brian's
	"said to be a short walk" is reassuring, but it would be
	much better if that information were available from the
	web site and more precise there.  The fact that the
	location map, which is supposed to be in PDF, can't be
	opened by Acrobat doesn't help much.

	(2) While it probably isn't the first time, I remember
	few, if any, cases in which we have been given the
	option of exactly one hotel (a hotel with a room block
	too small to accommodate all IETF attendees) and
	insufficient information for people to track down
	alternatives, at least without a lot of questions
	similar to those Pete asks above.

FWIW, if this represents a trend of meeting and logistics
plannings and announcements under the new regime, it is not one
that I find reassuring.

> This is the first time in a long time I'm seriously
> considering *not* staying at the conference hotel. I'm not
> sure I see the point.

Free Internet access?  Same bar most other people are trying to
meet in (as far as I can tell from the web site, the hotel's
(only?) bar closes at 11PM.  There might be other options, but,
if they exist, it isn't possible to tell from the information we
have been supplied.

     john