Re: 128 bits should be enough for everyone, was: IPv6 vs. Stupid NAT tricks: false dichotomy? (Was: Re: StupidNAT tricks and how to stop them.)

Stephen Sprunk writes:

> And sequential assignments become pointless even with 32-bit
> addresses because our routing infrastructure can't possibly handle
> the demands of such an allocation policy.

They are pointless for the reasons you state, but they are also the
only way to get 2^128 addresses out of 128 bits.  Anything else
encodes information in the address and reduces the usable address
space exponentially.

> Railing against this decision is pointless unless you have a new
> routing paradigm ready to deploy that can handle the demands of a
> non-bitwise allocation model.

The bitwise allocations I'm hearing about are not based on routing.

> I take it you mean "the blick of an eye" to mean a span of decades?

At best.

> That is not the common understanding of the term, yet that's how
> long we've been using the current system and it shows absolutely no
> signs of strain.

So IPv6 is not needed?

> To achieve bitwise aggregation, you necessarily cannot achieve
> better than 50% use on each delegation boundary. There are currently
> three boundaries (RIR, LIR, site), so better than 12.5% address
> usage is a lofty goal. Again, if you want something better than
> this, you need to come up with a better routing model than what we
> have today.

I did, but nobody was interested.

> Again, the current identifier/location conflation combined with the
> routing paradigm leaves us no choice but to encode information into
> the IP address.

In that case, any predictions of longevity for the system based on the
address space providing 2^n addresses for n bits are invalid.
Strangely, such predictions seem to be almost exclusively based on
this, and thus are necessarily wrong.