Re: 128 bits should be enough for everyone, was:

On Thu, Mar 30, 2006 at 07:08:51PM +0200, Anthony G. Atkielski wrote:
> Steve Silverman writes:
>
> > The problem with allocating numbers sequentially is the impact on
> > routers and routing protocols.
>
> The problem with not doing so is that a 128-bit address doesn't
> provide anything even remotely close to 2^128 addresses.

	But this has been known all along. It's a feature, not a bug.
If we "throw away" the last 64 bits we are left with 2**64 addresses,
which is obviously what was intended from the beginning.
	Allocating to ISPs on /48 or so boundaries then maps roughly to
ipv4 /16s which are often handed out now. If a /8 in v4 space gets parceled
out by the registries in a matter of months, a /40 in v6 should last the same.
Following that logic, a /32 in v6 space should last as long as /0 in v4
space.
	The current v4 /0 has lasted for some time now, it's difficult to
envision a time where we would be burning through space so fast that /32s
in v6 space wouldn't last months, if not years.
	But for argument's sake, let's say a /32 lasts one day at some point in
the dim future. This gives us 2 ** 32 days before we run out. not too bad for
those of us not realistically having much of a chance to live beyond 2 ** 15 or
so.
	If we "throw away" additional bits for other engineering purposes
the number of days would be 2 ** (32 - wasted bits). If we waste a full
half of those bits bits we're down to 2 ** 16 days (about 180 years).
	Again, that assumes we'd burn what is equivalent to a v4 /0
every single day for 180 years. Maybe it will become a problem when everyone
has addressable nanocytes in their bloodstream. But I have a hard time seeing
how it could be described as shortsighted.

> In that case, assign addresses to points in space, instead of devices.
> An office occupying a given plot of land will have an IP address space
> that is solely a function of the space it occupies.  Routing would be
> the essence of simplicity and blazingly fast.

	Routing doesn't (and will never) work that way. Much like with
airlines, the cost of a path is more complex than mere distance.

> > IMO one problem of the Internet is that it isn't hierarchical enough.
> > Consider the phone system:  country codes, area codes ...  This makes
> > the job of building a switch much easier. I think we should have
> > divided the world into 250 countries. Each country into 250
> > "provinces".  Yes, it would waste address space but it would make
> > routing much easier and more deterministic.
>
> With a variable address length that can extend infinitely at either
> end, the address space would never be exhausted.  That's how
> telephones work.

	That would be an alternative, certainly. I'm not sure how excited
to get about a 1 byte payload needing 1000 bytes of header, but I'm sure
it's possible.
	Is it worth throwing away the current post-v4 solution? Certainly
something to consider over the next 180 years.

	Austin