RE: 128 bits should be enough for everyone, was:

Anthony,

The problem with allocating numbers sequentially is the impact on
routers and routing protocols.
I have heard that the Japanese issue house numbers chronologically.
When you find the right block, you have to hunt
for the right number.  What you are suggesting is similar. You would
have as many routing table entries as hosts in the world.  The router
would not be affordable.  The traffic for routing entries would swamp
the net. The processing of these
routing advertisements would be impossible.  It doesn't scale!
The function of an address is to enable a router to find it. That is
why
we try to use hierarchical addressing even at the cost of numbering
space.

IMO one problem of the Internet is that it isn't hierarchical enough.
Consider the phone system:  country codes, area codes ...  This makes
the job of building a switch much easier. I think we should have
divided the world into 250 countries. Each country into 250
"provinces".  Yes, it would waste address space but it would make
routing much easier and more deterministic.  It would simplify BGP
drastically.  Current routing algorithms aren't that efffective.
Paths in the net are fairly inefficient. This increases latency,
apparent traffic on the net, and is a real waste of money.

Yes this would mean a mobile node needs to get new addresses as it
moves. So what. We already have DHCP.  Cell phones do a handoff
already.

Steve Silverman