RE: IPv6 vs. Stupid NAT tricks: false dichotomy? (Was: Re:StupidNAT tricks and how to stop them.)

> From: Markku Savela [mailto:msa@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx]

> > From: "Hallam-Baker, Phillip" <pbaker@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
>
> > The other side of the coin is the fact that many devices will
> > effectively require no more than a /128 because of the way they
> > connect up to the network. For example cell phones will be
> serviced on
> > plans where the subscription fee is per device. Verizon, T-mobile,
> > cingular need no more than one /64 each to service those networks.
>
> Uhh...
>
> - I thought they actually do (should) give /64 per phone, so that
>   standar IPv6 address configuration works (you get IPv6 link local
>   and global addresses from RA).
>
> - phone can use more that one address if you use the phone connection
>   to link your local network to the global internet without NAT,
>   (needs some "nasty" ND-proxy hacks though..)
>
> All Symbian phones have full IPv4/IPv6 dual stack on them already.

My point was that even if we do run out of /64s at some point the last few
remaining /64s can be made to go one heck of a long way.

Even if we do eventually exhaust the address space we can fix up the
problems easily enough at the internetwork level.