Re: RFCs should be distributed in XML (Was: Faux Pas -- web publication in proprietary formats at ietf.org

On 11/16/05, Ted Faber <faber@xxxxxxx> wrote:
> I think Bill was talking about making his editing plug-in display
> changes to the document as change bars or whatnot.

Right, whatnot.  In actual fact, what I have been thinking of was a
change-acceptance function for copy editing (show old, show new, show
both, accept new, reject new, create alternate new) - not particularly
what you want for day to day change control.

Straight revision control systems aren't actually that good for XML
that's been edited in an XML editor, since they tend to pretty-print
the XML when saving, and people using 2 different editors could end up
creating diffs on every line.  (Of course, one could use a front end
to the revision control system that formatted the XML and used rfcdiff
on the result...)

  Bill