Re: On revising 3777 as in draft-klensin-recall-rev-00

Dondeti, Lakshminath wrote:
Perhaps that's one way to prove that the bar is high/low. Another way is to ask around with this in mind and see if we all run into old rumors of what has been tried and with what results :-).

My other point is that we are trying to fix the wrong problem. I think that the nomcom process may be in trouble. We have very few people volunteering to be on the nomcom and an easy to launch recall process puts more pressure on the nomcom membership selection process.

Yes, the point of having a bar is to prevent a DOS on either the recall committee process, the IESG, or others. But if we set the bar too high we might as well not have a recall process. If ten people think a complaint against an IESG or IAB member rises to the level where they want to recall that person, I think that complaint should be heard. This is the high water mark method of the IETF demonstrating that the members of the IESG are not beyond reproach. It also provides us a method to reaffirm confidence in an AD who is being attacked. If we find that some wingnut is attracting other wingnuts and causing a DOS attack we can raise the bar again.

Also consider this. Let's say we give 1 year for someone to figure out their IESG/IAB job; so if a number of discontented people can't wait another year from then on, they should be forced to find a sizable number of people to sign on the recall petition.

I have been on the nomcom last year and again this year (someone smarter than me figured out that this is probably due to the fact that very few people volunteer to be on the nomcom), and we get feedback that a certain IESG member or IAB member should really be replaced. But, we also receive positive feedback on the same person. So, if we allow 10 people to launch recall processes everytime they are not happy with an IESG member's decision, the IETF will become more political than it is already.

Has it ever actually happened?

I will close with saying that we have NOT received a whole lot of community feedback this year on potential candidates or on what's working or what's not on the incumbents. What's the point of having nominating or recall committes if they are not used by the community? More importantly, I worry that a recall may even succeed with the recall committee only hearing one side of the story.

Good point!

Nuff said.

Eliot