Re: Reexamining premises (was Re: UN plans to take over our job!)

Michael Mealling writes:

> Because, particular codifications of it in the law aside, it represents
> a pretty good description of how human beings cognitively use names and
> words.

No, it simply represents the way trademark holders force others to do
their bidding.  IP law is already enough of a pox on society as it is,
there's no reason to make it worse by encoding it in the world's only
global computer network.

> It has many centuries of operational experience and it apparently
> works for everything humans need it to.

Centuries of experience for trademarks?  I seem to recall it being
much younger than that.  And abuse of such concepts has increased
exponentially over the past few decades.

> But for some reason those of us who designed the Internet seem to
> think we're above all of that and can dictate a system to the end
> users that's dissonate with how they actually think and view the
> world.

Except that 99.999% of all Internet users do _not_ think in terms of
trademark law.  Only a handful of extremely wealthy corporations think
in that way.

> Well, I didn't want to get into specifics but from what I've seen a URI
> with a service identifier tag seems to be fine for everyone that has
> looked a the problem.... So you shouldn't be nervous, the web seems to
> be working just fine....

What do URIs not have now that they need?