Re: Possible new Real-Time Applications and Infrastucture (RAI) Area

On Mon, 19 Sep 2005 16:35:58 -0400
 Melinda Shore <mshore@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On 9/19/05 4:23 PM, "Harald Tveit Alvestrand" <harald@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > I think all areas in the IETF are more-or-less defined as "core of the
> > area" + "what is closely linked to the core" + "what fits less badly there
> > than elsewhere" - ECRIT would come under "closely linked", since its
> > subject area is use of the SIP-type services; GEOPRIV might be more
> > characteristic of "fits less badly here than elsewhere" - it is used by
> > many of the services like ECRIT, but is also used (or should be) by WGs in
> > other areas.
>
> I think there may be a problem here in that "real time" may
> suggest to a number of people a level of rigor in timing that's
> really not applicable to much of the work the new area is

It seems that on the Internet so called real time applications are
generally either

delay sensitive

and / or

Jitter intolerant. (Which  are, of course, different things.)

I guess I would go for "Low Latency Applications and Infrastucture " (LLAI) myself.

Regards
Marshall Eubanks