Re: "The IETF has difficulty solving complex problems" or alternatively Why IMS is a big fat ugly incomprehensiable protocol

Jeffrey Hutzelman wrote:

>>> If you have complicated requirements, you are wrong.
>>

>> You are only ever wrong if you do not listen to your customers and as a
>> result fail to provide them with what they want.
>

> This is a vast oversimplification.  Even if you give your customers what
> they want, you can still be wrong if your solution fails to behave
> properly in relation to the rest of the world (stealing resources,
> violating other people's rights, etc).

Once upon a time, telephone industry listened to its
customers (telephone companies) and provided them with what
ehy want.

As a result, telephone equipments becaome more and more
complicated with more and more complicated specifications.

Most of them are overtook by simpler equipments using IP.

>> The world is complex, sometimes solutions must also be complex. In those
>> cases the design choice is where you put the complexity.

> This, however, is right on target.

In theory, maybe.

However, I have never seen such a design choice necessary
for network protocols.

We don't need 3GPP for the mobile internetworking.

						Masataka Ohta