Re: DNSEXT Minutes @ IETF-63 [Software Patent issues denied discussion]

On Thu, 8 Sep 2005, william(at)elan.net wrote:

> Neverheless if I understand it, it has always been a position of IETF
> to consider patented technology as being less preferable then patented
> for standardization (ok, it also has a lot to do with kind of licese
> patened technology has and if its available to everyone's use or not)
> and that in case standardization of certain patented technology is
> being considered IETF should look at if alternative to it that is
> non-patented is available.

The IETF position has gone from what might be described as studious
neutrality (ie you may consider things such as licensing terms) to a
definite preference for non-encumbrance. (Section 8 of RFC 3979):

8.  Evaluating Alternative Technologies in IETF Working Groups

   In general, IETF working groups prefer technologies with no known IPR
   claims or, for technologies with claims against them, an offer of
   royalty-free licensing.

I think many people at the IETF have no-IPR preferences, but it wasn't
written explicitly as a policy anywhere that I know of prior to RFC3979

Olaf Kolkman (WG co-chair) said:

[...]
> "Rat Hole Alert" [*]
>
> Please stop this discussion.