Re: Enough was enough

jefsey@xxxxxxxxxx (JFC (Jefsey) Morfin)  wrote on 30.08.05 in <6.2.3.4.2.20050830115145.03a3bd80@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>:

> Dear Brian and all,
> This mail of Harald Alvestrand positively concludes a long, difficult
> and boring effort of mine started at the WG-IDNA. I apologise to all
> for the inconveniences it created all over these years. My Franglish
> and my lack of talents left me with a tested method: the style you
> suffered, to pass ideas to who is interested or concerned; home work
> to demonstrate and implement them. It avoids conflicts and obtains
> results, at the cost of some ad-hominems instead of major conflicts
> (like on the spam issue). The Draft has considerably improved since I
> started partly opposing it in December.
>
> Harald Alvestrand expressed several times that the IETF is neither
> interested nor competent in multilingualism, an area which is
> necessarily, by its complexity, the size of its financial figures and
> the involved industrial, political and cultural interests, the engine
> of the development of the future Internet (RFC 3869 unfortunately did
> not considered). So, he managed or sponsored himself that policy with
> real talent. I was first confronted to that IETF situation through
> the WG-IDNA: it shown me the rightness of his evaluation.

Frankly, your analysis is about as wrong as possible.

This is NOT about language problems, or about centralization, or whatever.

> My sadness is the very very small number of non-English mother tongue
> participants: the alternative SDO Harald found is no really better in
> that area. When addressing multilingualism, this should be very
> concerning for us all.

Well, I'm certainly a non-English mother tongue participant. In fact, I
seem to recall so is Harald Alvestrand.

And I side with Harald in this.

Your messages are often so full of jargon they are nearly impossible to
understand. Furthermore, they often assert a large number of "facts" that
certainly aren't true in the universe I see around me.

And lastly, their connection with the threads you post them in is often
hard to understand, too.

MfG Kai